The main building of Terra Murata is Palazzo d'Avalos, built in 1500 together with the walls of the d'Avalos family, the island governorns up until 1700. In 1830 the building was converted into a prison that was closed in 1988. Currently the Palazzo d'Avalos can be visited only by booking the ticket in advance. The former prison consists of an urban intervention realized in the late XVI century by Cardinal Innico Avalos' architects Cavagna and Tortelli and was the Master's Palace and then the Palace of the Bourbon dynasty, who in 1815 turned it into a military school and, eventually, into a prison that lead to a later expansion. The monumental complex is made up of Palazzo d'Avalos, the courtyard, the barracks of the guards, the building of individual cells, Veterans Building, the medical center, the house of the director, and an esplanade. A unitary system and an inseparable monumental emergency represented by Palazzo d'Avalos, apart from its artistic and historical interest, is especially important for its particular characteristics that assert its role in the history of Renaissance architecture, not to mention it also witnessed the political, military and urban history of the island.
Via Terra Murata, 33
333 351 0701